Originally posted 13 July 2021
No feta in Rakiraki stores, but if there was I would love to make this. The salt in the feta against the sweet watermelon is just too good, and the watermelons in the market are amazing right now.
- ~1 kg watermelon, rind removed and cut into chunks
- 1 Tbsp/15ml juice from 1 lemon, plus 4 (2"/5cm) strips zest, removed with a sharp vegetable peeler
- 3 Tbsp/45ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 cup/10g roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
- Up to 4 ounces (1 quart) arugula leaves (optional; see note)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces/110g feta cheese
- Place watermelon chunks in a large bowl.
- Finely chop lemon zest.
- Add lemon juice and half of zest to bowl with watermelon.
- Add oil, mint, and arugula (if using) and toss until watermelon is evenly dressed.
- Season lightly to taste with salt and pepper. (The cheese will add saltiness, so go light on the salt at this stage.)
- Transfer salad to a wide, shallow bowl or a large plate and spread out evenly. Crumble feta over the top. Sprinkle with remaining lemon zest. Drizzle with more olive oil and a few grinds of black pepper. Serve immediately
Post a Comment