Originally posted 9 July 2021
Friday. Today's recipe is from RPCV Judy, she and John grow the most amazing star fruit. I love the way they look and taste in green papaya salad or sangria or eaten out of hand, but today my love rose to new levels when I tasted a broiled starfruit. If you have to substitute for the starfruit you could try white seedless grapes sliced in half.
Broiled Carambola (Star Fruit) and Date Salad
- 4 ripe sweet carambola (starfruit), cut into 1/8 inch slices and deseeded, about 500g
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 8 dates, whole, pitted, cut into quarters
- 1 cup raw cashews
- pinch of saffron, snip and mix with lime juice
- 1 bunch arugula (optional)
- Preheat oven to broil on 500 F/260C
- Toss together carambola, lime juice and saffron, honey, dates, and cashews. Place mixture in a shallow ceramic baking dish.
- Place on top rack of oven for 5 minutes or until the carambola edges and cashews just become golden brown. You should see some juices on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Portion out arugula onto 4 salad plates and top with cooled carambola salad.
Post a Comment