16 July 2021
An old favorite recipe that's been updated with eggs, perfect for a rainy winter night.
Potato & Onion Soup
- 1 Tbsp Rewa butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 potatoes, large dice
- 250 g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup freekeh
- 1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed
- Stock powder
- 1.5 L water
- 4 egg yolks
- Roughly chopped spinach or other tender greens
- In a pressure cooker brown the onions in Rewa butter for about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and mushrooms, cook until the mushrooms are tender but not soft, 2 or.3 minutes.
- Add the freekeh, white beans, and stock powder along with hot water to cover the ingredients and then some, about 1.5 L.
- Securely close the lid and bring the pressure up, cook for 10 minutes at pressure. Quick release the pressure.
- Use some of the hot broth to temper the yolks by whisking a little of the hot broth into the eggs. Whisk constantly and vigorously as the hot broth is added. By keeping the eggs moving constantly, you raise the temperature of the eggs gradually, keeping them from cooking. Raising the temperature of the eggs protects them so that when the yolks are added to the pot or pan with the hot ingredient, they won’t cook or curdle.
- Either stir the cut greens into the soup or serve the soup over the greens for the freshest flavor.
Post a Comment